22 May 2008

Pledge Time

I take pledges from time to time. I did The Compact ( I lasted a couple of months...but doing so, even at that level of commitment altered my buying habits tremendously.)

I did an ETSY pledge to buy Handmade (...again I lasted just a couple of months.)

Oprah made a pledge this week to Eat with Consciousness (Quantum Wellness) …and I am trying to lean into it.

I’d like to list some of the interesting pledge programs that come into my mail box.

This one keeps reappearing, and I did post it as a comment. Apparently it's sender wants it to receive bigger attention in my little blog. Here goes....

‘Right now people in the industrialized world are facing two very grave problems: obesity and a growing scarcity of oil. Compounding this problem is the new food shortage brought about, in part, by the conversion of food cropland to bio-fuel crop production. Most people feel powerless to help, but there is one thing that we can do. Ride our bicycles to work.
If everyone would agree to ride their bikes to work one day per week we could cut oil consumption by as much as 10-15%. No one would argue that riding a bike burns more calories than driving the car. Although popular politically right now, most bio-fuels consume more energy than they produce. We would be much better to eat those bio-crops then use our own energy to transport us around.
So spread the word. Make it a movement! Bicycle to work one day a week and do your part to cut back obesity and the overuse of oil and precious cropland.’