16 January 2012

Front Crate on Bicycle - DIY Revealed

What kind of wine crate do you have on the FRONT of your bicycle? Where did you get it? Who makes them and can I buy one? This is a series of questions I get every then and again.

front crate for bicycle RidingPretty
front crate for bicycle RidingPretty


So for those readers who wanted to know -- another DIY is revealed!

As you can see (below) the crate is a recycled CD or compact disc holder. Once these were a very popular way to keep and display your CD collection. Note: I found mine at yard sales.

I adore the "Napa Valley..." logo on the crate -- and that is precisely why it is often perceived as some sort of wine box. However I wasn't so crazy about the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo so I sanded it off -- you can compare the finished crate photo above to the one pictured below, the crate below has NOT been sanded yet.


front crate for bicycle RidingPretty
front crate for bicycle RidingPretty


Nestled within the crate is another rattan basket that fits snugly inside...

front crate for bicycle RidingPretty


Lastly the means of attaching the crate to the handle bars is quite straight forward. I used straps that came with the buckles already on and I purchased them from my local leather works supply shop. You can make your own buckle straps if you want too. That is if you are willing to do a little leather working 101, requiring basic skill sets and tools to make them.

I additionally reinforced the centered positioning of the crate by wrapping some lacing around the
bicycle stem and handlebars for extra stability.



front crate for bicycle RidingPretty
front crate for bicycle RidingPretty


This front bicycle crate is small enough so as not to require any additional support utilizing a bicycle porteur front rack. Added bonus is that I can remove the crate without too much bother. I find it a perfect size and fit with my bicycle handlebars. Best of all my little bicycle 'wine' crate offers a nice, handy place to store items I want quick and easy access to!

Hope you enjoyed the DIY!


Share/Save/Bookmark