04 February 2010

Bicycle Love Ambassador

Sometimes when I'm out having my day I get accosted by the merely curious, the grossly misinformed or the flat out jerks. Sometimes this just involves weird looks and hasty remarks shot my way. Other times I am actually face to face - in a situation where I can choose to speak - engage in a conversation with this other person before me.

I've developed over time a mind set in these situations. I purposely see my self as an Ambassador of Bicycle Love. Every encounter is a chance to do Out Reach. Out Reach that might just change a person's life. Forever.

To start, my first assessment is if this person before me is giving off psycho vibes, I've learned to trust my inner gut. If it's psycho or rageaholic vibes I am getting outta there . Simple.

angry face shared by ridingpretty


Now if it's curious questions as to why I wear heels and how do I do it, then I'm prepared. I hand them a business card, invite them to visit my blog. Ditto for the whole gander of merely curious type questions; what bicycle I am riding, where did I get it. Or my favorite-- "how fast can you go on that thing".

I generally try to be as helpful and friendly as I can be. Spread the Bicycle Love.


Note: if I were riding a brand new Abici bicycle or some other ballpark $$ 2K bicycle - Pashley, Oma Workcycle, Batavus or the like I would hand them a card too. This one with the bicycle shop where they could go buy a bicycle just like mine - with this caveat - that they go tell the LBS/Manufacturer that RidngPretty sent them. I would like to earn brownie points (I'd deserve them!) with said bicycle manufacture and LBS. After all I am a BIG talking, walking (rather riding), stylishly attired, blogging billboard for them!

Onto the grossly misinformed, if I can stand it I would try to talk my way through whatever misunderstanding they present me with. I actually haven't had to do this yet but if I continually got the same repetitious question again and again I would print up a card with a quick faq answer. One with either my blog address included on it or not. My choice.

angry face shared by ridingpretty
(via schoolofill)

For the flat out jerks (those that aren't in the psycho category) I size up what my chances are of making a positive impact. I won't stand down but I won't let them escalate me so that I'm ranting/screaming as loudly as they are. It really is a case by case situation. Thankfully I encounter this situation rarely. My community is a very bikey town and always has been.

Share/Save/Bookmark